blog comments powered by Disqus
Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Best Time to visit
December to mid-April
Veer Savarkar Airport is situated at a nearby distance of around 2 kms towards the southern part of the Port Blair city.
Nearest Railway Station
Port Blair is not connected through rail. The nearest railway station is Chennai.
Bengali, Hindi, English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam
Travel facts about Port Blair
Situated on the coastal area of the Bay of Bengal, Port Blair has got many exotic sea beaches. Bordered by palm trees, these sea beaches offer a spectacular view of some of the rare corals and different other marine lives. Many of these beaches are the location of varied kinds of adventure sports. This capital city of Andaman and Nicobar Islands is known all over India for Cellular Jail. The bumping roads running amid the thick lush greenery makes one fall in for the place. The natural beauty of this port city along with the various adventure sporting options available there attracts tourists from across the globe.More..
This city of Port Blair, being one of the well-known habitats of different tribal communities in the country, is famous for its handicrafts. The shops in the city have got a good collection of woodcarvings, jewelry made of sea shells and pearls as well as varied other products made from coir, coconut shells and sea shells. Apart from these, Port Blair t-shirts are even quite famous, which one can take back home as a souvenir of his or her travel to Port Blair. The local markets of the city are stocked with palm floor mats, Nicobari canoes and bamboo or cane furniture as well. Aberdeen Bazaar and Samudrika that is a Government emporium are some of the best places to shop from. To name a few more shopping destinations, which attracts a shop lover are:Andaman Handicrafts Emporium, Khadi Gramodyog Emporium, Sagarika Government Emporium.
Places to see in and around Port Blair
- Cellular Jail- Earlier called Kala Pani this jail was built during the British rule in the nation. It exhibits many photographs of the prisoners as well as the devices which were used for their punishment.
- Cinque Island- This exotic island is enveloped in coral reefs and provides a closer look of the undersea gardens of corals.
- Corbyn's Cove- Bordered by palm and coconut trees this beach is famous for water sports and sun basking.
- Samudrika Marine Museum- The five different sections of the marine museum of the Indian Navy own tanks that are full of fishes and exotic corals as well as displays models of islands and tribal pictures which depicts the tribal lifestyle.
- Anthropological Museum- This museums exhibits artifacts which reflects the history of the tribes in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Chiriya Tapu- Besides being a good sunset view point it is a small village known for fishing and snorkeling.
- Collinpur- This beautiful beach is one of the ideal places for swimming and sunset viewing.
- Gandhi Park- It is among the most visited tourist sites in the city.
- Havelock Island- Apart from being the location of a Government Ferry this island is famous for snorkeling.
- Jolly Buoy Island- The fishes and corals of this place are something which people need not miss to see while their travel to Port Blair.
- Chatham Sawmill
- Children's Traffic Park
- Fisheries Museum
- Forest Museum
- Mahatma Gandhi Marine National Park
- Mini Zoo
- Mt. Harriet
- Neil Island
- Ross Island
- Sippighat Farm and Water Sports Complex
- Viper Islands
- Zsi Museum